Team Profile: South Africa
South Africa are amongst the lightweights competing in the 12 team tourney. Though they cruised into the World Cup with comprehensive victories enroot their victory run in 2009 Africa Cup, odds are stacked heavily against South Africa on their chances to create a stir in Delhi.
They have finished last and second to last in the previous two World Cups and they have also finished bottom in the 2008 Olympic Games.
Under head coach Gregg Clark they had endured a humiliating time at Beijing Olympics where they lost allmheir games le scoring just six.
That doesn’t mean that the Proteas are going to be easy pushovers.
Clark is now charged with the task to return South Africa to respectability.
Key players for South Africa is their captain and central defender Austin Smith along with center-half Lloyd Madsen, both pf whom ply his trade in the auspicious Dutch top flight.
South Africa are making their fourth FIH World Cup appearance following participations in Sydney 1994 (10th), Kuala Lumpur 2002 (13th) and Mönchengladbach 2006 (12th).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra