Team Profile: South Africa
South Africa are amongst the lightweights competing in the 12 team tourney. Though they cruised into the World Cup with comprehensive victories enroot their victory run in 2009 Africa Cup, odds are stacked heavily against South Africa on their chances to create a stir in Delhi.
They have finished last and second to last in the previous two World Cups and they have also finished bottom in the 2008 Olympic Games.
Under head coach Gregg Clark they had endured a humiliating time at Beijing Olympics where they lost allmheir games le scoring just six.
That doesn’t mean that the Proteas are going to be easy pushovers.
Clark is now charged with the task to return South Africa to respectability.
Key players for South Africa is their captain and central defender Austin Smith along with center-half Lloyd Madsen, both pf whom ply his trade in the auspicious Dutch top flight.
South Africa are making their fourth FIH World Cup appearance following participations in Sydney 1994 (10th), Kuala Lumpur 2002 (13th) and Mönchengladbach 2006 (12th).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre