Team Profile: South Africa
South Africa are amongst the lightweights competing in the 12 team tourney. Though they cruised into the World Cup with comprehensive victories enroot their victory run in 2009 Africa Cup, odds are stacked heavily against South Africa on their chances to create a stir in Delhi.
They have finished last and second to last in the previous two World Cups and they have also finished bottom in the 2008 Olympic Games.
Under head coach Gregg Clark they had endured a humiliating time at Beijing Olympics where they lost allmheir games le scoring just six.
That doesn’t mean that the Proteas are going to be easy pushovers.
Clark is now charged with the task to return South Africa to respectability.
Key players for South Africa is their captain and central defender Austin Smith along with center-half Lloyd Madsen, both pf whom ply his trade in the auspicious Dutch top flight.
South Africa are making their fourth FIH World Cup appearance following participations in Sydney 1994 (10th), Kuala Lumpur 2002 (13th) and Mönchengladbach 2006 (12th).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg beats Max Verstappen to grab pole position
- EPL 2016-17, Gameweek 3: Saturday football — Chelsea take pole, Arsenal end winless run
- UPSC issues e-admit cards for NDA, NA exams 2016
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni admits execution of his last ball dismissal wrong
- Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ready for slog from back of the field