Team Profile: South Africa
South Africa are amongst the lightweights competing in the 12 team tourney. Though they cruised into the World Cup with comprehensive victories enroot their victory run in 2009 Africa Cup, odds are stacked heavily against South Africa on their chances to create a stir in Delhi.
They have finished last and second to last in the previous two World Cups and they have also finished bottom in the 2008 Olympic Games.
Under head coach Gregg Clark they had endured a humiliating time at Beijing Olympics where they lost allmheir games le scoring just six.
That doesn’t mean that the Proteas are going to be easy pushovers.
Clark is now charged with the task to return South Africa to respectability.
Key players for South Africa is their captain and central defender Austin Smith along with center-half Lloyd Madsen, both pf whom ply his trade in the auspicious Dutch top flight.
South Africa are making their fourth FIH World Cup appearance following participations in Sydney 1994 (10th), Kuala Lumpur 2002 (13th) and Mönchengladbach 2006 (12th).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi