Tens of millions could get swine flu in China: Official
Beijing: Tens of millions of people could
be infected with swine flu in China in the coming months, a
health ministry official said on Friday, adding that fatalities
would be "unavoidable".
"According to expert estimates, our nation during the
autumn season might have several tens of millions infected
with A(H1N1)," Liang Wannian, deputy director of the
ministry`s health emergency office, told a press conference.
Liang said of that total, "half of them could experience
clinical symptoms, several millions will seek medical help,
and serious cases and fatalities will be unavoidable."
The spread of A(H1N1) influenza in China has gathered
pace as the autumn months approach, Liang said, with over half
of the nation`s nearly 7,000 cases detected between August 24
and September 10.
Of those cases, nearly 95 per cent were contracted within
China, whereas the vast majority of cases reported from June
to August originated abroad, he said.
"The situation we face is not optimistic," Liang said,
noting that the virus had been found in all of China`s 31
provinces and regions.
"We are facing severe challenges in our prevention and
China has so far reported no swine flu deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof