Text messages can be used as evidence for divorce
London: In a new legal development in France, SMS text messages revealing adultery can be used as evidence for divorce.
The Supreme Court of the country has ruled the decision claiming that it will make the divorce procedure smoother.
The step out rules a 2007 declaration by a lower court that using phone exchanges in court was a breach of privacy, reports the Telegraph.
To date, the time taken for legal separation of couples is generally long in France.
People had to wait for years to get out of a marriage if they could not prove that their partner was misbehaving or mistreating them.
Also, the law says that if the spouses fail to agree to separate by mutual consent, those seeking a divorce have to prove that the spouse is cheating or abusing or mistreating him or her.
And in case the judge is not convinced, a divorce will be pronounced only after two years of living separately.
In fact until 2004, French law required couples to wait six years for decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview