Two convicted for being members of Jaish-e-Mohammed
New Delhi: A Delhi court today convicted
two members of terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed, including one
who had contested last Lok Sabha elections in Jammu and
Kashmir as National Panthers Party candidate, for possessing
of RDX and illegal money in the national capital in 2006.
Mohd Iqbal Jaan and Mustaq Ahmed Kallu, arrested with
two kilogram RDX and Rs five lakh cash on November 27, 2006,
were held guilty by Additional Sessions Judge Madhu Jain.
Jaan and Kallu, both hailing from Baramulla district in
Jammu and Kashmir, were charged with various offences
including that relating to waging war against the country
under the IPC, for possessing explosives under the Explosive
Substances Act and for being member of terror organisation
under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The court held the duo guilty under the Explosive
Substances Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
According to the prosecution, both the convicts,
members of Pakistan-based JeM, had brought the explosives from
Deoband in Uttar Pradesh to Delhi for carrying out the blasts.
The court, in its judgement, rejected the contentions
of defence counsel Anwar Khan who alleged both Jaan and Kallu,
who came to Delhi on a business trip, were abducted from a
hotel ten days before their arrest on November 27, 2006.
Jaan used to run a gas agency while Kallu had a shoe
shop in Baramulla district, he claimed.
The court is likely to pronounce the quantum of
sentence against the convicts on September 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends