US raid an attack on sovereignty: Pakistan Senate
Islamabad: The US raid at Abbottabad to kill al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was an attack on the country`s sovereignty, members of the Pakistan Senate have said.
The row over the May 02 Abbottabad operation dominated the Senate proceedings on Wednesday, reported Dawn.
Heavily armed US commandos flew into Abbottabad city on May 02 and stormed a mansion where Osama bin Laden was hiding. The al Qaeda leader was shot dead and his body was then buried at seat.
The members called the incident an attack on the country`s sovereignty and sought revisiting the policy on war on terrorism.
A statement by Information Minister Firdous Ashiq Awan denied reports that the Ghazi airbase had been used by the US troops for the operation.
She said the country`s armed forces did not provide logistic and operational support for the operation.
The Abbottabad operation was conducted by the US forces without informing the Pakistani authorities, she said and added that the unilateral action was unauthorised and both the military and civil leadership were unaware of it.
Khurshid Ahmed of Jamaat-i-Islami contested Awan`s statement and wondered how could one believe that the intelligence agencies were unaware and the air force was grounded.
He said the US operation was an attack on the country`s sovereignty and open military aggression.
Ahmed said the incident was a failure of the civil and military leadership and called for a paradigm shift in the country`s foreign policy.
The information minister said Abbottabad and its surrounding area had been under the focus of intelligence agencies since 2003 that led to the arrest of a high-value al Qaeda target in 2004.
She said that as far as Osama`s hideout was concerned, the ISI had been sharing information with the CIA and other friendly intelligence agencies since 2009.
Awan said Osama`s family was in the custody of the country`s intelligence agencies and the injured among them had been provided medical aid. They would be handed over to the countries they belonged to.
She said about 40 key al Qaeda operatives had been arrested by intelligence and security agencies over the past decade in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA