UT status for Karaikal `untenable`, says Narayanasamy
Puducherry: Union Minister of State for
Planning, Parliamentary Affairs and Culture V Narayanasamy
on Sunday termed as `untenable` and `wishful thinking,` the demand
of the Karaikal Struggle Group that it be made a separate
Union Territory after delinking from Puducherry.
"The demand of KSG is untenable and lacks public support.
It is just wishful thinking," he told a news agency.
Narayanasamy pointed out that Congress had bagged sizeable
number of votes in the May 13 Lok Sabha poll, "proof that the
people of Karaikal are one with the Congress policy of keeping
the whole Union Territory (Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe and
Yanam) as one entity."
Listing out various developmental works undertaken by the
territorial government in Karaikal, he said he would be glad
if KSG furnished proof to show how much of the Centre`s
financial allocation to Karaikal had not been used.
He pointed out that the government had also been persuading
the Centre to sanction more powers as were available to a full
fledged State, to the territorial administration, to ensure
balanced growth of all four regions.
The KSG, an `apolitical organisation, was formed in 2005
and comprises freedom fighters, senior citizens and other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?