UT status for Karaikal `untenable`, says Narayanasamy
Puducherry: Union Minister of State for
Planning, Parliamentary Affairs and Culture V Narayanasamy
on Sunday termed as `untenable` and `wishful thinking,` the demand
of the Karaikal Struggle Group that it be made a separate
Union Territory after delinking from Puducherry.
"The demand of KSG is untenable and lacks public support.
It is just wishful thinking," he told a news agency.
Narayanasamy pointed out that Congress had bagged sizeable
number of votes in the May 13 Lok Sabha poll, "proof that the
people of Karaikal are one with the Congress policy of keeping
the whole Union Territory (Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe and
Yanam) as one entity."
Listing out various developmental works undertaken by the
territorial government in Karaikal, he said he would be glad
if KSG furnished proof to show how much of the Centre`s
financial allocation to Karaikal had not been used.
He pointed out that the government had also been persuading
the Centre to sanction more powers as were available to a full
fledged State, to the territorial administration, to ensure
balanced growth of all four regions.
The KSG, an `apolitical organisation, was formed in 2005
and comprises freedom fighters, senior citizens and other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price