Vijay Singh`s major streak in danger after skipping qualifying
New York: Golf`s former world number one Vijay Singh is in danger of missing his first major in 17 years after failing to turn up for a qualifying event for next week`s U.S. Open at Congressional.
The Fijian, a three-times major winner, has played in each of the past 67 majors, dating back to the 1994 British Open, but is now relying on a special exemption from event organisers after failing to show up for his tee time at qualifying on Monday.
Spain`s Sergio Garcia ensured he would make his 47th consecutive appearance in the majors when he made it through one of the 11 36-hole qualifying events held across the United States, offering up a total of 64 places.
Three former U.S. Open champions were not so lucky. Lee Janzen, winner in 1993 and 1998, failed to qualify, as did Tom Kite, the 1992 champion, and Steve Jones, the 1996 winner.
David Duval, another former world number one and British Open winner, also failed to qualify but Sam Saunders, the grandson of Arnold Palmer, made it through a qualifier in Florida.
This year`s U.S. Open will be the 111th edition of the tournament and runs from June 16-19 at the Congressional Country Club in Maryland.
Around half the field is determined by past performances and world rankings but the other half is open to anyone who wants to try to qualify.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test