Vijaya Bank`s operating profit up by 35.47%
Bangalore: Spurred by growth of interest income and control over expenditure on interest, Vijaya Bank successfully achieved a turnaround, posting a net profit of Rs 143.38 crore in the first quarter of 2009-10 compared to a net loss of Rs 76.64 crore in the same period last year.
"Our Q1 core earnings have been very impressive,especially
in the light of somewhat slackened business growth. Our Net
Interest Income continued to feature progressive improvement
sequentially as well as on Q-o-Q basis, leading to a robust
growth in Operating Profit", Bank Chairman and Managing
Director Albert Tauro told a press meet, releasing highlights
of the Q1 performance here.
Driven by 53.75 per growth in Net Interest Income,operating
profit for Q1 was Rs 209.77 crore, compared to Rs 154.84 crore
for the corresponding quarter last year, he said.
Net Profit of Rs 143.38 crore was arrived at after
reckoning for provision for wage arrears of Rs 65 crore,
superannuation benefits of Rs 44.38 crore, provision for taxes
of Rs 102.75 crore and non-performing advances to the tune of
Rs 104.60 crore, he said.
There was write back of provision under investments of Rs
158.98 crore, mainly due to efficient management of investment
portfolio, he noted, adding that return on assets for the
quarter worked out to 0.93 per cent.
Tauro said the Bank had a business of Rs 91,802 crore as
on June 30, 2009, comprising deposits of Rs 54,895 crore and
advances of Rs 36,907 crore.
The First quarter also featured continuation of loan
restructuring for stressed accounts in line with the RBI
stipulations, he said.
"Yes there was some pressure on quality of assets," he
said, pointing to the rise in NPA to 2.94 per cent from 1.71
per cent during the first quarter.
Personal loans, Commercial loans and real estate loans
contributed to the rise in NPA, he said and added that efforts
would be made to bring it down in the coming quarter.
The Bank aims to reach a business level of Rs 1,10,000
crore, with Y-o-Y Growth of about 22 per cent by March 2010,
Tauro said, commenting on the guidance for the year.
Business portfolio was proposed to be further broadbased,
with containment of high cost liabilities and higher credit
volumes aimed at productive segments, he said.
New initiatives contemplated during FY10 include launch of
mobile banking and online trading servics, as also offer of
value added services like e-ticketing, utility payment and
funds transfer facility under internet (V-NET) banking, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared