Vodafone seeks time till January next for tax claim reply
New Delhi: UK-based mobile major Vodafone
has sought an extension until January 29 next year to reply to
a tax claim notice issued last month by the Income-Tax
Department, the Lok Sabha was informed on Friday.
On October 30, 2009, the Income-Tax Department issued a
notice to Vodafone International Holdings BV (VIH BV) over its
11.2-billion dollar purchase of Hutchison Telecom`s Indian
operations (Vodafone Essar) in 2007.
"Vodafone International Holdings BV (VIH-BV) was required
to file its explanation by November 16, 2009. However VIH BV
has requested for further time till January 29, 2010,"
Minister of State for Finance S S Palanimanickam said in a
written reply to the Lok Sabha.
A notice was issued to VIH BV to show cause why the I-T
Department can not proceed against it for default of
non-deduction of tax at source from the payment made to
Hutchison Telecom International Ltd (HTIL) for acquiring the
controlling interest and other assets of HTIL in Indian
telecom company Hutchison Essar Ltd.
"VIH BV was also asked to show cause why it should not be
treated as an assessee in default for its failure to deduct
and pay the tax," Palanimanickam said.
Vodafone acquired a 67 per cent stake in Hutchison Essar
from Hutchison Telecommunications International, in May 2007.
Vodafone has always maintained that, because the deal took
place between CPG, which is registered in the Cayman Islands,
and Vodafone International, which is based in the Netherlands,
it is not liable to pay tax in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India