Vodafone seeks time till January next for tax claim reply
New Delhi: UK-based mobile major Vodafone
has sought an extension until January 29 next year to reply to
a tax claim notice issued last month by the Income-Tax
Department, the Lok Sabha was informed on Friday.
On October 30, 2009, the Income-Tax Department issued a
notice to Vodafone International Holdings BV (VIH BV) over its
11.2-billion dollar purchase of Hutchison Telecom`s Indian
operations (Vodafone Essar) in 2007.
"Vodafone International Holdings BV (VIH-BV) was required
to file its explanation by November 16, 2009. However VIH BV
has requested for further time till January 29, 2010,"
Minister of State for Finance S S Palanimanickam said in a
written reply to the Lok Sabha.
A notice was issued to VIH BV to show cause why the I-T
Department can not proceed against it for default of
non-deduction of tax at source from the payment made to
Hutchison Telecom International Ltd (HTIL) for acquiring the
controlling interest and other assets of HTIL in Indian
telecom company Hutchison Essar Ltd.
"VIH BV was also asked to show cause why it should not be
treated as an assessee in default for its failure to deduct
and pay the tax," Palanimanickam said.
Vodafone acquired a 67 per cent stake in Hutchison Essar
from Hutchison Telecommunications International, in May 2007.
Vodafone has always maintained that, because the deal took
place between CPG, which is registered in the Cayman Islands,
and Vodafone International, which is based in the Netherlands,
it is not liable to pay tax in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing