Walmart, CARE launch initiative to empower women
New Delhi: US-based retail giant Walmart in
association with international humanitarian organization CARE
today announced the launch of an initiative that aims to
empower marginalised women in India.
Called as `Cashew Value Chain Initiative`, Walmart and
CARE will jointly create a women owned-and-operated
community-based institution to provide incomes for around 750
women in the cashew farming and processing sector in the
coastal districts of Tamil Nadu.
"The project will improve economic opportunities for
socially and economically marginalised women and girls in
southern India through the promotion of women-owned and
-managed cashew enterprises," said Bharti Walmart Managing
Director and CEO Raj Jain said in a statement.
Under this, three women-owned and managed cashew
processing units and 15 literacy centers would be set up over
the next year.
The benefits of this initiative will reach beyond the
women themselves, impacting the lives of nearly 4,000 people,
The project is part of Walmart Foundation`s USD 1 million
grant to CARE and the project marks the first of a series of
initiatives to elevate women from poverty worldwide, it added.
There are more than 700 small-scale cashew processing
units in southern India, and the sector provides employment to
500,000 people, mostly women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video