What an outsider would do at Tatas: Russi Mody
New Delhi: Once touted as a contender to head the Tata group before Ratan Tata took charge, Russi Mody feels that someone from the family alone should spearhead the USD 71 billion conglomerate and any outsider would not sound right.
Mody, 92, held important positions in Tata group and led Tata Steel till he retired in the early 1990s. Later, he held various advisory positions both in the group and outside, with a notable stint as Chairman of the erstwhile Indian Airlines and Air India.
"...But I wonder what would someone from outside do at the Tatas," Mody said in a column in daily `Financial Chronicle`.
Mody`s comments are in sharp variance with Ratan Tata who said that his successor would not be pro or anti-Parsi and could be from either India or abroad.
At the AGM of Tata Chemicals` annual general meeting on Monday, Ratan Tata had said: "The Tata Group is an Indian Group and we should not be looking (at it) as a Parsi group. The successor should be the right person and not anti-Parsi or pro-Parsi."
Modi was earlier also reported to have had differences with Ratan Tata on different issues.
"So far, there has always been a good chairman from the Tata family. There is no reason why that should not continue in the years to come," Mody said in the piece that was all praise for the Tata family, which set up the group over 140 years ago.
Having left behind the past bitterness, Mody, who claimed that he considered himself as a `Tata man` said: "The family of Tatas is an institution by itself. And I would always like to see some Tata spearheading the group`s operations."
Recalling his days with JRD Tata, Mody said: "In our time we knew who was being brought up as the successor. There was no question of bringing someone from outside the family."
Stating that he did not quite understand the formation of a panel to find a successor to Ratan Tata, Mody said: "...why they have to go through all this to decide who would succeed the current chairman."
Mody wrote that he is unsure who will finally be selected, but "I would like to see the next chairman to be someone worthy of this position. He should be someone who is intelligent, should have a solid understanding on certain critical issues."
With changing times more activities have already come along and the new chairman should be able to respond to that, Mody said, adding that "I hope and pray that they don`t select some odd fellow for this important job."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!