‘Will set up schools, hospitals in Maya parks’
Allahabad: Samajwadi Party Supremo Mulayam
Singh Yadav today declared that if his party was voted to
power in Uttar Pradesh, he would set up schools and hospitals
on lands where parks and memorials have been built by the
Mayawati government in the state.
"Mayawati is the biggest land mafia the state has ever
seen. She has forcibly acquired thousands of acres of land for
building parks and memorials," Yadav told a huge election
Yadav said farmers, who protested the acquisitions were
subjected to lathicharge and firing by the police, which is
something nobody could have imagined when Samajwadi Party was
"Nearly Rs 40,000 crore of public money was squandered
for getting statues of elephants erected in these parks. All
this was done in the name of B R Ambedkar, which is the the
biggest insult to the dalit leader", he said.
"Ambedkar would have jailed Mayawati had he been alive
today. We will accord him due respect by naming schools and
colleges after him which we intend to build on the lands which
Mayawati had captured in places like Lucknow and Noida for
building these parks and memorials," the SP supremo said.
The former Chief Minister also reiterated the promise of
waiving farmers` loans, unemployment doles and financial
assistance to girls who, after passing Class XII, opted for
higher education and exhorted his supporters to "come out in
large numbers on the day of voting and help the Samajwadi
Party to form its government with an absolute majority".
He also vowed, "one of my first steps upon coming to
power would be declaring a number of backward castes like
Bind, Nishad, Kahar and Kol as Scheduled Castes so that they
enjoy the facilities reserved for SCs and have a better shot
at their own betterment".
Speaking at the same rally, firebrand SP leader Azam Khan
launched a scathing attack on the Congress, describing it as
"a party that has always cheated Muslims" and blamed it
squarely for the plight of the community "which is today worse
off than the dalits, a fact acknowledged by the reports of the
Sachar Committee and the Rangnath Mishra Commission".
"The Congress-led UPA government`s gimmick of providing
4.5 per cent reservation to the minorities is yet another
fraud against Muslims.
First they tried to create division within the community
by talking of reservations only for the so-called backward
Now, they are claiming to be champions of Muslims while
cleverly hiding the fact that claimants to the meagre
sub-quota include Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists and Christians as
well", Khan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17