Williams comeback continues but tiredness shows
Cincinnati: Former world number one Serena Williams continued her return to form with a convincing 6-3, 7-6 victory over Czech Lucie Hradecka in the first round of the Cincinnati Open but showed signs of fatigue in her second set.
Williams, who clinched the Toronto Cup on Sunday, is looking for her third tournament win since coming back from an 11-month injury lay-off in June.
The American will next face the woman she beat in Sunday`s final -- Australian Samantha Stosur -- in the second round.
Tenth-seeded Stosur brushed aside Eleni Daniilidou of Greece 6-3, 6-1 in her opening match.
Williams looked in good form in the first set as she pounded her serve against the 49th-ranked Hradecka, who came into this week on a six-match losing streak.
However the American, who was 5-1 up in the second, struggled to finish off her opponent and showed some signs of tiredness before sealing victory in the tie-break.
"I was definitely up, I didn`t close it out and she started playing differently and better and running a lot," Williams said after recording her 12th consecutive win. "I was just struggling at that point.”
"I haven`t played in almost a year, and even the year before I didn`t play that much. But I would rather have that than fresh legs from not winning."
With the US Open just a fortnight away, Williams said she was wary of pushing herself too hard before the last grand slam event of the season.
"I`m going to have to figure that out," she added. "I definitely don`t want to overdo it. My main goal right now is obviously to do well.
"Nothing against Cincinnati or Toronto or the Stanfords that I played, but this is all preparation. Everyone is preparing for the US Open, so I have to be smart and make sure it`s not too much," Williams said.
World number five Li Na of China won her second round match against Czech Lucie Safarova 6-3 6-4 while eighth seed Marion Bartoli of France beat Ukrainian Alona Bondarenko 6-1, 6-2.
In the first round, Italian Flavia Pennetta enjoyed a surprise 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Russia`s 12th-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
Another Russian, world number seven Maria Sharapova, was set to face Australian Anastasia Rodionova later on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark