Win in Nationwide takes Daniel Chopra closer to PGA Tour
California: Daniel Chopra, who lost his PGA Tour card last year, took a big step towards regaining it by winning the Nationwide Tour`s Fresh Express Classic earlier in the week.
The 37-year-old Swede Chopra, who learnt most of his golf in India, won the title on the basis of the third round standings when fog forced officials to cancel the final round.
Chopra, who has twice each won on the PGA Tour and Nationwide, shot a career-best nine-under 61 in the third round to reach 12-under and take a one-stroke lead over Luke List and Russell Knox.
"A win is a win and I feel just as happy as if we would have finished," Chopra said. "I`m kind of shock, really. All of a sudden the buzzer sounds and I have this (trophy)."
Chopra now moves to third on Nationwide Money List from where the top-25 get a full PGA Card for 2012. Chopra has twice won on the PGA Tour in 2007 and 2008 - the 2007 Ginn sur Mer Classic and 2008 Hyundai Tournament of Champions and has also won twice on Nationwide back in 2004. He was 176th on the Money List on PGA Tour last year.
There was a time in the third round when Chopra was in with a chance for a 59. He needed one birdie in his last two holes to get to a 59. But he bogeyed the 18th and instead ended with a 61.
The start of play in the final round was delayed by four hours and the first groups were through 16 holes and the final groups played seven when fog returned and the round was canceled because of insufficient time to complete the final round.
Chopra in the final group was sharing the lead with Knox when play stopped.
Two-time heart transplant recipient Erik Compton, Mathew Goggin, Doug LaBelle and Marco Dawson tied for fourth at eight-under.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS