Win in Nationwide takes Daniel Chopra closer to PGA Tour
California: Daniel Chopra, who lost his PGA Tour card last year, took a big step towards regaining it by winning the Nationwide Tour`s Fresh Express Classic earlier in the week.
The 37-year-old Swede Chopra, who learnt most of his golf in India, won the title on the basis of the third round standings when fog forced officials to cancel the final round.
Chopra, who has twice each won on the PGA Tour and Nationwide, shot a career-best nine-under 61 in the third round to reach 12-under and take a one-stroke lead over Luke List and Russell Knox.
"A win is a win and I feel just as happy as if we would have finished," Chopra said. "I`m kind of shock, really. All of a sudden the buzzer sounds and I have this (trophy)."
Chopra now moves to third on Nationwide Money List from where the top-25 get a full PGA Card for 2012. Chopra has twice won on the PGA Tour in 2007 and 2008 - the 2007 Ginn sur Mer Classic and 2008 Hyundai Tournament of Champions and has also won twice on Nationwide back in 2004. He was 176th on the Money List on PGA Tour last year.
There was a time in the third round when Chopra was in with a chance for a 59. He needed one birdie in his last two holes to get to a 59. But he bogeyed the 18th and instead ended with a 61.
The start of play in the final round was delayed by four hours and the first groups were through 16 holes and the final groups played seven when fog returned and the round was canceled because of insufficient time to complete the final round.
Chopra in the final group was sharing the lead with Knox when play stopped.
Two-time heart transplant recipient Erik Compton, Mathew Goggin, Doug LaBelle and Marco Dawson tied for fourth at eight-under.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?