World number one Ochoa retires from LPGA tour
Mexico City: Women`s world number one Lorena Ochoa announced on Tuesday she will be hanging up her golf clubs.
"Lorena Ochoa has confirmed her retirement from LPGA... more details will be released on Friday at a press conference," the Mexican`s management group said on a statement posted on the Golf Channel website.
The 28-year-old has dominated the women`s tour for the last three years with a string of titles, including two majors, that have made her famous in soccer-mad Mexico, where golf is seen as a pastime for a tiny wealthy elite.
She married the chief executive of Mexican airline AeroMexico last year in her home city of Guadalajara.
She recently said she would likely take a break to have children.
"I always wanted to play for 10 or 12 years and I am headed for the eighth," she said in February. "I want to start a family, but it will be once I retire."
Ochoa first picked up a golf club aged just five and was soon winning junior competitions. She also excelled at athletics, tennis, swimming and basketball before choosing to concentrate on golf.
The LPGA`s player of the year from 2006 to 2009, Ochoa enrolled at the University of Arizona on a golf scholarship in 2000 but left after her sophomore year to turn professional.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!