France President Francois Hollande's visit to India: As it happened on Day 2
Taking a big leap in the field of bilateral cooperation, India and France on Monday signed the much awaited deal for 36 Rafale Fighter jets. However, both the leaders agreed that the deal has some financial aspects yet to be discusses but expressed hope that they will be sorted out soon.
Calling the French President a close friend of India, PM Narendra Modi welcomed him for the Republic Day celebrations.
"From security of borders to smart cities to solar energy to nuclear power, from Namaste to Bonjour, we have strengthened our relation," said PM Modi while addressing the media after bilateral talks at Hyderabad House in New Delhi.
Expressing his desire to share French technology with India, Hollande said, "Rafale fighter jets is a symbol but there are so many other fields we are cooperating. From culture to defense matters we share common interests."
India expressed keenness on solar alliance. President Hollande was very helpful, did everything possible to bring all nations together: PM
USA, France & India...these three nations took the initiative of innovation. Lets innovate & protect the environment: PM Modi.
As India and France signed 16 MoUs on the first day of French President Francois Hollande's three-day India visit on Sunday, now all eyes are now set on pending Rafale deal between the two countries.
The governments of both India and France are struggling to nail down a deal for New Delhi to buy 36 Rafale fighters jets made by the French company Dassault, which is in itself a watered-down version of a plan first unveiled in 2012.
Modi announced alongside Hollande in Paris last year that India had agreed to buy the 36 jets as it looks to modernise its Soviet-era military and keep up with neighbouring Pakistan and China.
Hollande`s presence as chief guest at Tuesday`s Republic Day military parade is intended to symbolise the close relationship between the two countries, particularly in the aftermath of November`s Paris attacks.
- Prez poll: Kovind files nomination; Meira Kumar to challenge him
- Watch: Car catches fire in Bihar's Nalanda, no casualty
- ISRO's PSLV-C38 places Cartosat-2 along with 30 nano satellites in orbit
- Srinagar: Police officer lynched by mob outside Jamia mosque
- Bihar: Are the Presidential elections causing a rift the Mahagathbandhan?
- NEET Result 2017: NEET exam result 2017 declared, check cbseresults.nic.in, cbseneet.nic.in; Navdeep Singh from Punjab tops
- WATCH: Jason Roy becomes first man ever to be dismissed for obstructing field in T20Is
- Allahabad High Court quashes Uttar Pradesh govt order, reinstates six Shia Waqf Board members
- Prabhas’ reaction to SS Rajamouli’s ‘Baahubali 3’ offer is hilarious! WATCH
- BJP leader Bandi Ramesh hacked to death in Karnataka's Ballari