OROP suicide row LIVE: Grewal cremated as Rahul, Kejriwal join mourners; Delhi govt announces Rs 1 crore for veteran's kin
New Delhi: The suicide by Army veteran Ram Kishan Grewal' over One Rank One Pension (OROP) has snowballed into a huge political show with Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and other opposition leaders attacking the Narendra Modi-led central government.
Delhi CM Kejriwal announces Rs 1 crore compensation for Grewal's family.
Calling the ex-soldier a martyr, the AAP convenor hit out at Modi government for 'failing' to implement OROP.
Notably, just days ago, PM Modi had said the first installment of nearly Rs 5,500 crore has been paid for implementing the OROP scheme.
"The OROP was not about just Rs 200 crore or Rs 500 crore, but Rs 10,000 crore... After I became the PM, and decided that I had to do (implement) it, the entire government lost sleep over it... It was not possible for the government to pay in one go, so I requested the ex-servicemen to accept it in four instalments.
"The money will reach them in four installments. Nearly, Rs 5,500 crore has been paid as the first installment," PM Modi had said.
Defending the government, BJP MP Babul Supriyo reiterates party's stand that there should be a probe into Grewal's suicide incident.
Supriyo heaps praise on PM Modi for implementing the long-pending OROP scheme. The BJP MP from Asansol minced no words in slamming Kejriwal and Rahul for playing politics over the suicide of the ex-Army soldier.
- Minor gives birth in school, accuses auto driver of rape
- Monsoon in India: Scores killed in floods, landslides
- India 3rd largest target to witness most terror activities, says report issued by US foreign ministry
- Easy to stir mountain but not our army: China's threat to India on Doklam standoff
- Is UP CM Yogi Adityanath going against PM Modi's move to end red beacon culture?
- Former ISRO Chief UR Rao, man behind India's 1st satellite Aryabhatta, dies
- After Sonu Nigam, singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi tweets about Azaan and loudspeakers
- ICC Women's World Cup Final: England vs India - As it happened...
- Saliva analysis turns up evidence of 'ghost' ancient human species!
- DSP Ayub Pandith lynching: Main accused killed in encounter, 20 other arrested, informs IG Kashmir