OROP suicide row LIVE: Grewal cremated as Rahul, Kejriwal join mourners; Delhi govt announces Rs 1 crore for veteran's kin
New Delhi: The suicide by Army veteran Ram Kishan Grewal' over One Rank One Pension (OROP) has snowballed into a huge political show with Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and other opposition leaders attacking the Narendra Modi-led central government.
Delhi CM Kejriwal announces Rs 1 crore compensation for Grewal's family.
Calling the ex-soldier a martyr, the AAP convenor hit out at Modi government for 'failing' to implement OROP.
Notably, just days ago, PM Modi had said the first installment of nearly Rs 5,500 crore has been paid for implementing the OROP scheme.
"The OROP was not about just Rs 200 crore or Rs 500 crore, but Rs 10,000 crore... After I became the PM, and decided that I had to do (implement) it, the entire government lost sleep over it... It was not possible for the government to pay in one go, so I requested the ex-servicemen to accept it in four instalments.
"The money will reach them in four installments. Nearly, Rs 5,500 crore has been paid as the first installment," PM Modi had said.
Defending the government, BJP MP Babul Supriyo reiterates party's stand that there should be a probe into Grewal's suicide incident.
Supriyo heaps praise on PM Modi for implementing the long-pending OROP scheme. The BJP MP from Asansol minced no words in slamming Kejriwal and Rahul for playing politics over the suicide of the ex-Army soldier.
- Project Ghatak: All you need to know about India's stealth combat drones
- Shocking! Punjab ASI gets dragged along with car to catch drug peddler
- Kashmir crisis: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi
- Cheating in examination center in Madhya Pradesh - Watch
- National-level player Shumaila gets triple talaq for giving birth to a girl
- IPL 2017, KKR vs RCB: Fuming Virat Kohli gives an earful to match official after getting out for golden duck — WATCH
- LG G6 India launch today: Here's everything you need to know
- 7th Pay Commission: Final report on allowances in next few days, maximum HRA likely to be Rs 60,000
- Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Narendra Modi, says no talks until stone-pelting, retaliation by security forces ends in J&K
- Arvind Kejriwal threatens to launch 'movement` if MCD exit poll results, predicting BJP victory, come true