UP Assembly Election 2017 Results: As it happened
Lucknow: The BJP achieved a stunning victory on Saturday in Uttar Pradesh and returned to power in the state after a 14-year gap during which regional parties such as the SP and BSP had held sway.
The BJP, which had just 47 seats in the outgoing Assembly, garnered 40 percent vote share in the most riveting contest seen as a game-changer and a virtual referendum on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's popularity and demonetisation.
The victory triggered widespread celebrations all across the country's most populous state as well as at the BJP headquarters in Delhi.
Also Read - 2017 Assembly Election Results
Am overjoyed that BJP has received unprecedented support from all sections of society. Huge support from the youth is gladdening. I salute the hardwork of BJP karyakartas. They have tirelessly worked hard at the grassroots level and won the confidence of the people. Congratulations to Amit Shah, party office bearers and state units for their exemplary work in taking the party to new heights. Every moment of our time, everything we do is for welfare and well-being of the people of India. We believe in the power of 125 crore Indians, says PM Modi.
Gratitude to the people of India for the continued faith, support and affection for the BJP. This is very humbling and overwhelming, says PM Modi.
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!