Hyderabad: Curfew in old city areas after clashes
Hyderabad: An indefinite curfew was on Sunday clamped in some parts of the walled city here following communal clashes over alleged desecration of a religious place.
At least five persons were injured in incidents of stabbing and stone-pelting involving members of two communities, police said.
Curfew was imposed in Madannapet and Saidabad in Old City and will continue till further orders, Andhra Pradesh Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy said.
Tension erupted in the morning following reports of alleged desecration of a religious place in Kurmaguda, wherein one devotees complained that they found "meat" and green-coloured water near a place of worship.
Enraged members of the community took out rallies that culminated in stone-pelting. As the news spread, members of other community too assembled in large numbers and also indulged into heavy brickbatting against each other and at houses in Kurmaguda besides the communally sensitive areas of Madannapet and Saidabad, thus prompting police to cane charge and burst of teargas shells to disperse marauding mobs.
"There are no deaths," Reddy, who visited the trouble-hit areas along with Hyderabad Police Commissioner AK Khan and other senior police officers, said and appealed to people to maintain communal harmony and not to fall prey to rumours.
Reddy said a massive drive was underway to arrest those responsible for the incident, adding, "We are picking up offenders and the situation is now peaceful and public are requested to pass on information on communal offenders who are holed up in these areas."
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy also reviewed the situation in Madannapet and Saidabad areas accompanied by Reddy, Commissioner of Police AK Khan, district collector N Gulzar and other senior officials and directed them to closely monitor the situation.
Miscreants also pelted stones on buses damaging glass-panes, besides setting on fire at least two vehicles, while two incidents of stabbing were also reported, police said.
Earlier, city police commissioner AK Khan said that the police were constantly reviewing the situation and keeping a close watch in sensitive areas by deploying additional forces.
As a precautionary measure and to prevent spreading of disturbance the police have imposed curfew, he said expressing hope that the situation will return to normalcy in couple of days.
Khan warned that police will not hesitate to arrest leaders if they found to be indulged in instigation or spreading unrest and added that so far the police have picked up some persons for questioning.
Reacting to a query, Khan said those appearing for SSC and other examinations will be allowed to reach the exam centres in the curfew-hit areas.
Following the communal disturbances, shops and commercial establishments downed their shutters in parts of Old City even as police barricaded the roads in the sensitive areas.
It was after a gap of two years that authorities have imposed curfew in the communal sensitive Old City.
Curfew remained in place for several days in parts of Hyderabad in March 2010 after members of two communities clashed over erecting a religious flag even as three members of a community were killed in the clashes that left several injured.
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy today reviewed the situation in Madannapet and Saidabad areas accompanied by the Director General of Police Dinesh Reddy, Commissioner of Police AK Khan, district collector N Gulzar and other senior officials and directed them to closely monitor the situation.
As per the chief minister`s instructions, the DGP visited the areas of the Old City and reviewed the law and order situation with police officials. The chief minister asked the Hyderabad district Collector to provide medical treatment to the injured.
Reddy was informed that the situation was fully under control, a release from CMO said.
The chief minister further appealed to people to observe restraint and help the administration in maintaining peace, law and order, it said.
He also asked officials to take stringent action against the miscreants responsible for Madannapet incidents and to book all culprits and maintain law and order and see to it that the situation is brought to normalcy immediately, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says