ACHR welcome SC order commuting death sentence to life
Guwahati: Asian Centre for Human Rights (ACHR) has welcomed the Supreme Court`s order on Wednesday commuting death sentence of Mahendra Nath Das to life imprisonment.
``The judgement of the Supreme Court is a step in the right direction for eventual abolition of death penalty in the country. It recognizes that life imprisonment remains an equally efficacious form of justice and death penalty is not the only form of justice``, ACHR Director Suhas Chakma said.
Das had been on death row for the last 16 years and the long delay in deciding the mercy plea has been considered as a ground for commuting the death sentence.
Considering that then President APJ Abdul Kalam in a communication on September 30, 2005 advised the Home Minister, to consider extending the benefit of clemency to Mahendra Nath Das, there was no ground to recall the file for reconsideration in the first place, and then reject the mercy plea by then President Pratibha Patil, Chakma said.
ACHR has urged the centre to commute all death penalty sentences to life imprisonment including that of Devender Pal Singh Bhullar and declare a moratorium on death penalty.
The ACHR has submitted a fresh mercy plea to President Pranab Mukherjee seeking commutation of death sentence of condemned prisoner Devender Singh Bhullar to life imprisonment on the ground that Das`s mercy plea was considered twice by the President and therefore, Bhullar`s mercy plea too be considered afresh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?