Assam CM apprises Sonia of BTAD situation
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday apprised UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi of the prevailing situation in Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) and the measures taken by the state government to restore peace in the area.
A total of 32 people, including women and children, were killed by NDFB(S) militants in different areas of Kokrajhar and Baksa districts of BTAD area since Thursday.
The UPA chairperson rang up the Chief Minister this morning to take stock of the law and order situation in BTAD areas and Gogoi briefed her about the security measures taken by the state to instil confidence among the people, official sources said.
Gogoi also informed Gandhi that there had been no major untoward incident during the last 24 hours.
Informing her about the enhanced security in areas vulnerable to violence, Gogoi said the government would soon bring back the situation to normal.
The Chief Minister further informed her that the Centre had despatched additional reinforcements to tackle the situation, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter