Assam`s oldest man dies at 135 years
Morigaon: The oldest man of Morigaon district in central Assam, Puna Konwar, died today at the age of 135 years in his Baribandha village.
Konwar, who has always been in the news for his longevity and seeing his fifth generation, died at his residence from old age related problems, said his family sources.
The Officer-in-Charge of Morigaon Police station confirmed Konwar`s age as per a report sent from the police station to the Census Directorate based on the age of his 68-year old eldest great grandson and other family records.
Stating he was active till about two months ago even though his sight and hearing abilities had diminished, the sources said, Konwar`s nervous system had failed leading to his death.
Konwar`s three great grandsons from his son`s side were taking care of him, they said, adding, he had a fifth generation from his daughter`s side.
Puna Konwar had also come into prominence for casting his vote as the oldest person of the district in the last Assembly election in the state in April 2011.
The average lifespan of people in the remote Baribandha village of the ethnic Tiwa-Lalung community was 90 years, official sources said.
This was attributed by the locals to the unpolluted air and water in their village and consumption of organically grown food.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan