Centre blamed for illegal immigration in Assam
New Delhi: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Saturday demanded immediate steps from the Centre to seal the Indo-Bangladesh border to check unabated illegal immigration from across the boundary.
Referring to the recent spate of violence in Kokrajhar in Assam, AGP president and former Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta blamed the Centre for not taking tough measures. He said the Centre must immediately seal the international border in Assam and deploy enough mechanism to check the exodus.
"There are government records which show the presence of foreigners in Assam. Continuous rise of immigrants have endangered the population of Assamese existence," he said at a seminar on infiltration, ethnic divide and how to bring a solution to the troubled Assam.
The function was organised by the Delhi Chapter of All Assam Lawyers` Association.
Deputy Chief of Bodoland Territorial Council Kampa Borgayari said illegal migration from across the border was politically motivated and supported by religious extremist forces.
"It is not a mere economic migration but it is an invasion and infiltration," he said.
Borgayari said there were many laws in force in the country but none of them have been able to deter or stop the illegal migration.
President of Bodo Women`s Justice Forum Anjali Daimari asked the indigenous people of the state to come together to fight the problem of illegal migration.
"The land hungry immigrants have come with political agenda," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report