Centre blamed for illegal immigration in Assam
New Delhi: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Saturday demanded immediate steps from the Centre to seal the Indo-Bangladesh border to check unabated illegal immigration from across the boundary.
Referring to the recent spate of violence in Kokrajhar in Assam, AGP president and former Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta blamed the Centre for not taking tough measures. He said the Centre must immediately seal the international border in Assam and deploy enough mechanism to check the exodus.
"There are government records which show the presence of foreigners in Assam. Continuous rise of immigrants have endangered the population of Assamese existence," he said at a seminar on infiltration, ethnic divide and how to bring a solution to the troubled Assam.
The function was organised by the Delhi Chapter of All Assam Lawyers` Association.
Deputy Chief of Bodoland Territorial Council Kampa Borgayari said illegal migration from across the border was politically motivated and supported by religious extremist forces.
"It is not a mere economic migration but it is an invasion and infiltration," he said.
Borgayari said there were many laws in force in the country but none of them have been able to deter or stop the illegal migration.
President of Bodo Women`s Justice Forum Anjali Daimari asked the indigenous people of the state to come together to fight the problem of illegal migration.
"The land hungry immigrants have come with political agenda," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened