Fierce gun battle kills three militants in Goalpara
Goalpara: A fierce gunbattle in Goalpara killed three militants of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), following which security forces called off operations.
Following a tip-off, a joint team of police and army launched an operation against the Garo militants at Kachumari hills area near Krishnai in Goalpara along the Assam-Meghalaya border.
The incident took place at 2.45 am. After receiving confirmation about the hideout of the GNLA insurgent group cadets in hills, the army and police personnel geared up for action.
Security personnel recovered three 9MM pistols, rifle, 7 rounds of bullets, two detonators, and copper wire coil along with explosives.
Superintendent of Police, Goalpara district, Nitul Gogoi, said that after receiving the information they launched a joint operation in which two cadets of the insurgent group managed to escape from the spot during the gun battle.
"Based on intelligence reports, we were informed about the presence of militants in the remote area and launched an operation. When security personnel reached the area, the militants fired at us and forced us to exchange bullets, in which three GNLA militants were killed in the encounter at Kasumari under the Krishnai police station in Goalpara district," said Gogoi.
"The identification of the extremists is yet to be done. Police recovered three 9mm pistols, seven rounds of live cartridges of INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) rifles, two gelatins, some explosive substances and coils from the spot," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details