Fierce gun battle kills three militants in Goalpara
Goalpara: A fierce gunbattle in Goalpara killed three militants of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), following which security forces called off operations.
Following a tip-off, a joint team of police and army launched an operation against the Garo militants at Kachumari hills area near Krishnai in Goalpara along the Assam-Meghalaya border.
The incident took place at 2.45 am. After receiving confirmation about the hideout of the GNLA insurgent group cadets in hills, the army and police personnel geared up for action.
Security personnel recovered three 9MM pistols, rifle, 7 rounds of bullets, two detonators, and copper wire coil along with explosives.
Superintendent of Police, Goalpara district, Nitul Gogoi, said that after receiving the information they launched a joint operation in which two cadets of the insurgent group managed to escape from the spot during the gun battle.
"Based on intelligence reports, we were informed about the presence of militants in the remote area and launched an operation. When security personnel reached the area, the militants fired at us and forced us to exchange bullets, in which three GNLA militants were killed in the encounter at Kasumari under the Krishnai police station in Goalpara district," said Gogoi.
"The identification of the extremists is yet to be done. Police recovered three 9mm pistols, seven rounds of live cartridges of INSAS (Indian Small Arms System) rifles, two gelatins, some explosive substances and coils from the spot," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand