Guwahati molestation case: 11 convicted, 4 acquitted
Guwahati: Eleven accused in the sensational GS Road molestation case here on July 09 last, including prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita, were convicted on Friday while four others were acquitted.
Kamrup Chief Judicial Magistrate SP Moitra today convicted prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita along with 10 others under various Sections of IPC.
The CJM acquitted local television channel journalist Gaurav Jyoti Neog, Hafizuddin, Diganta Basumatary and Jitumoni Deka due to lack of evidence.
Besides Kalita, the others convicted include Puspendra Das, Sikandar Basfor, Dhanraj Basfor, Nabajyoti Baruah, Nabajyoti Deka, Deepak Deb, Rubul Ali, Deba Das, Rupkanta Kalita and Ghanasyham Kumar Malik.
Altogether 16 persons were taken into custody, but one of them was a minor and his case was being heard in the Juvenile Justice Court.
Altogether 24 witnesses were examined during the trial by the CJM.
The quantum of the sentence was expected to be announced later in the day.
All the accused were currently on bail and the convicted have submitted an application with the CJM that as they were not satisfied with the judgement and have the statutory right to appeal before the Sessions Court within 30 days, they should continue to be on bail during the appeal period.
The incident created a nation-wide sensation when a girl was molested by a group of people outside a bar on the night of July 09 with the entire incident captured by Neog on camera which was later telecast and even uploaded on YouTube.
The government had constituted a Special Investigation Team headed by Superintendent of Police (Operation) Ranjan Bhuyan which submitted the chargesheet on September 4 last in which 16 persons were named as accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Narendra Modi condemns Munich attack
- When Aditya Chopra told Ranveer Singh to act like himself
- Shah Rukh Khan terms himself struggling writer, pens poem inspired from Zayn Malik
- 'Quantico' diva Priyanka Chopra misses mommy during shoots!- See pic
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey