IED, uranium recovered, security beefed up in Assam
Guwahati: A powerful improvised explosive device (IED), uranium and explosive materials were recovered today, triggering the authorities to tighten security across Assam in the run-up to the Republic Day celebrations, the police said.
Patrolling armymen of the Red Horns Division recovered the IED, weighing more than eight kg, 1.5 kg of uranium, some electronic detonators, splinters and wires from Gachbari under Baihata Chariali police station of Kamrup (Rural) district.
A red alert was sounded in Jorhat district following information about ULFA militants entering the district to carry out explosions in the run-up to the Republic Day.
Official sources said there were intelligence reports of anti-talk ULFA faction leader Paresh Barua asking cadres to target police and security personnel particularly in upper Assam districts as also the state capital.
ULFA militants had lobbed a hand grenade at Kakopathar police station in Tinsukia district last evening but the safety pin of the grenade had not been removed and the weapon did not explode.
ULFA militants had attacked the Namtola police station and injured a policeman in Sibsagar district on Tuesday.
Along with other militant organisations of the North East, the ULFA have called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations.
Railway Superintendent of Police Rana Bhuyan today reviewed security arrangements in Rangiya railway station and directed RPF and GRP personnel to maintain a strict vigil of railway tracks, stations and surrounding areas in the run-up to the Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!