IED, uranium recovered, security beefed up in Assam
Guwahati: A powerful improvised explosive device (IED), uranium and explosive materials were recovered today, triggering the authorities to tighten security across Assam in the run-up to the Republic Day celebrations, the police said.
Patrolling armymen of the Red Horns Division recovered the IED, weighing more than eight kg, 1.5 kg of uranium, some electronic detonators, splinters and wires from Gachbari under Baihata Chariali police station of Kamrup (Rural) district.
A red alert was sounded in Jorhat district following information about ULFA militants entering the district to carry out explosions in the run-up to the Republic Day.
Official sources said there were intelligence reports of anti-talk ULFA faction leader Paresh Barua asking cadres to target police and security personnel particularly in upper Assam districts as also the state capital.
ULFA militants had lobbed a hand grenade at Kakopathar police station in Tinsukia district last evening but the safety pin of the grenade had not been removed and the weapon did not explode.
ULFA militants had attacked the Namtola police station and injured a policeman in Sibsagar district on Tuesday.
Along with other militant organisations of the North East, the ULFA have called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations.
Railway Superintendent of Police Rana Bhuyan today reviewed security arrangements in Rangiya railway station and directed RPF and GRP personnel to maintain a strict vigil of railway tracks, stations and surrounding areas in the run-up to the Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!