IED, uranium recovered, security beefed up in Assam
Guwahati: A powerful improvised explosive device (IED), uranium and explosive materials were recovered today, triggering the authorities to tighten security across Assam in the run-up to the Republic Day celebrations, the police said.
Patrolling armymen of the Red Horns Division recovered the IED, weighing more than eight kg, 1.5 kg of uranium, some electronic detonators, splinters and wires from Gachbari under Baihata Chariali police station of Kamrup (Rural) district.
A red alert was sounded in Jorhat district following information about ULFA militants entering the district to carry out explosions in the run-up to the Republic Day.
Official sources said there were intelligence reports of anti-talk ULFA faction leader Paresh Barua asking cadres to target police and security personnel particularly in upper Assam districts as also the state capital.
ULFA militants had lobbed a hand grenade at Kakopathar police station in Tinsukia district last evening but the safety pin of the grenade had not been removed and the weapon did not explode.
ULFA militants had attacked the Namtola police station and injured a policeman in Sibsagar district on Tuesday.
Along with other militant organisations of the North East, the ULFA have called for a boycott of the Republic Day celebrations.
Railway Superintendent of Police Rana Bhuyan today reviewed security arrangements in Rangiya railway station and directed RPF and GRP personnel to maintain a strict vigil of railway tracks, stations and surrounding areas in the run-up to the Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!