Inching closer to solution of ULFA issue: Govt
New Delhi: The government and ULFA are inching closer to a political solution to the decades-old insurgency problem in Assam as the banned group abandoned its key demand of `sovereignty`.
"We have reached a point almost close to finalising a working draft. There are certain things which are still under discussions. But we hope the working draft to be ready very soon," Joint Secretary (Northeast) in the Home Ministry Shambhu Singh said.
After an hour-long meeting with a 26-member delegation of ULFA, headed by its `chairman` Arabinda Rajkhowa, Singh said the government has understood the concerns and demands of ULFA and trying to find out a solution to the three issues on which there were no agreement yet.
The three issues are protection of political and cultural identity of the indigenous people of Assam, land rights and illegal immigration.
"From the three issues, the Union Home Secretary will start the process of consultation with all stake holders," Singh said without elaborating.
Both sides discussed various aspects of the group`s `charter of demands` which seek amendment in the Constitution for finding "meaningful" ways to protect the rights and identity of the indigenous people of Assam.
The issue of ULFA demand for `sovereignty` did not figure in the discussion. Home Secretary R K Singh, who chaired the meeting, termed the talks as "successful" and also hoped that ULFA `general secretary` Anup Chetia would be repatriated from Bangladesh soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know