Night curfew continues in Goalpara
Goalpara/Guwahati: Though no fresh incident of violence was reported in Goalpara district during the last five days, night curfew continued in Mornoi and Krishnai police station areas of Assam.
The curfew imposed since February 12 was continuing between 8 pm and 6 am, district Deputy Commissioner Preetam Saikia told PTI on Monday.
On the panchayat poll day on February 12, 20 people had died in police firing and group clashes between people opposed to the elections and those who supported it in Rabha Hasong ethnic community dominated areas of the district.
Meanwhile, 15,962 people who had fled their homes during the mayhem or their houses burnt down in arson were sheltered in 22 relief camps at Balijana and Matia circles, official sources said.
Altogether 5,443 people are taking shelter in six relief camps at Balijana Circle and another 10,519 people in 16 camps at Matia Circle.
So far 434.972 quintal rice, 80.635 quintal dal, 2280.55 litre mustard oil and 22.806 quintal salt have been distributed among the camp inmates, the sources said.
1,870 blankets, 1,245 sheets tarpaulin, 768 packets baby food and 6,480 packets biscuit were also distributed.
The ethnic Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee wants Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council polls ahead of the panchayat elections as village and panchayat committees would undermine the authority of the Autonomous Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends