Night curfew continues in Goalpara
Goalpara/Guwahati: Though no fresh incident of violence was reported in Goalpara district during the last five days, night curfew continued in Mornoi and Krishnai police station areas of Assam.
The curfew imposed since February 12 was continuing between 8 pm and 6 am, district Deputy Commissioner Preetam Saikia told PTI on Monday.
On the panchayat poll day on February 12, 20 people had died in police firing and group clashes between people opposed to the elections and those who supported it in Rabha Hasong ethnic community dominated areas of the district.
Meanwhile, 15,962 people who had fled their homes during the mayhem or their houses burnt down in arson were sheltered in 22 relief camps at Balijana and Matia circles, official sources said.
Altogether 5,443 people are taking shelter in six relief camps at Balijana Circle and another 10,519 people in 16 camps at Matia Circle.
So far 434.972 quintal rice, 80.635 quintal dal, 2280.55 litre mustard oil and 22.806 quintal salt have been distributed among the camp inmates, the sources said.
1,870 blankets, 1,245 sheets tarpaulin, 768 packets baby food and 6,480 packets biscuit were also distributed.
The ethnic Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee wants Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council polls ahead of the panchayat elections as village and panchayat committees would undermine the authority of the Autonomous Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan