Northeast: Train services suspended
Agartala: The northeastern states of Tripura, Mizoram, Manipur and parts of Assam were cut-off from the rest of the country on Monday after the railways suspended all train services passing through southern Assam, officials said.
The services were suspended by the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) after the Indigenous Peoples Forum (IPF) called a 12-hour shut down in parts of southern Assam against the formation of proposed Dima Hasao Territorial Council (DHTC).
"Several trains -- Lumding Barak Valley Express, Hill Queen express, Lumding express, Agartala express, Lumding Cachar express - which connect (Tripura capital) Agartala, parts of Manipur, Mizoram and southern Assam with the rest of India have been cancelled till Tuesday," an NFR spokesman told reporters at Silchar, in Assam.
Many passengers, bound for Guwahati and the rest of the country, were stranded in Agartala, Jiribam (Manipur), Bhoirabi (Mizoram) and southern Assam`s Badarpur, Silchar and Lumding.
Many shops, business establishments, government offices and educational institutions remained closed and roads wore a deserted look in Dimahasao district and adjoining areas of southern Assam.
The central government has proposed to constitute DHTC for the all-round development of tribals living in Dimahasao district and adjoining areas, 350 km south of Assam`s main city of Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?