Situation in Goalpara peaceful: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday said the situation in trouble-torn Goalpara district is now peaceful and the displaced people will be rehabilitated soon.
"Situation in Rabha-Hasong area is now peaceful. Sense of security among the people has returned and the government will make all efforts to ensure their security," Gogoi told reporters here.
The situation in the district, which is the nerve centre of the Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee (RHJAC) opposed to the panchayat polls, had turned violent on February 12 panchayat election day with 20 people killed in police firing, arson and clashes.
The people who fled their homes during violence and were taking shelter in relief camps will be rehabilitated soon and assisted to rebuild their homes, Gogoi said.
The state government has set up 20 relief camps in Goalpara district for people affected in the violence. As many as 17,949 people have taken shelter in those camps.
The ethnic RHJAC is demanding the Autonomous Council polls ahead of the panchayat hustings as the village and panchayat committees will undermine the authority of the Council.
Responding to a query, Gogoi said re-polling will be held in those areas where violence had halted the voting process.
"The non Rabhas, Hasongs in those areas cannot be deprived of their rights. In fact, the Rabha, Hasongs will get double benefit by both the Panchayat and their Autonomous Council elections," Gogoi pointed out.
Encouraged by the victory of the Congress in the panchayat polls, he said, "Separate schemes will be taken up for the welfare of landless and marginalised farmers after identifying the beneficiaries."
Gogoi accused the Opposition (AGP and BJP) of not wanting Panchayat polls in the district.
On the Panchayat election results, Gogoi said, "75 to 80 per cent people came out to participate in the elections. People have full faith in the democratic process and the panchayat system."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list