Two teenage NDFB insurgents killed in encounter in Assam
Chirang: Two teenage boys, claimed to be insurgents belonging to NDFB (Songbijit), were killed and another was seriously injured in an encounter with security forces in Assam`s Chirang district on Wednesday, sparking a public outcry and attack on a police station.
According to police sources, the three alleged militants hurled a grenade at a joint team of Army and police personnel at Raidwongbari under Runikhata police station early this morning. The security forces retaliated, killing two of them on the spot, the sources said. Another was critically injured.
The security forces recovered an AK-47, one magazine and a grenade from the slain boys, identified as Jiri Narzary (14) and Pranjit Narzary (13). The injured, Nikotine Narzary (14), has been admitted to the GMC Hospital in Guwahati.
The local people claimed that the three boys, who are cousins, are innocent and that they were fired upon when they were sleeping on a haystack in the compound of their house.
Angered by the incident, a mob gheraoed the Runikhata police station and pelted stones damaging windowpanes and other office property, besides setting ablaze five police bikes, the sources said.
To control the situation, the police resorted to a lathicharge and bursting of teargas shells, they added.
The All-Bodo Students Union, Bodo Peoples Front and the All-Bodo Welfare Federation have protested against the incident and demanded an inquiry. They also said that they would take the matter to the Assam Human Rights Commission.
The district deputy commissioner has ordered an inquiry into the incident to be conducted by additional district magistrate Dasarath Dutta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today