Woman Commando unit `Virangana` raised to tackle eve teasers in Assam
Guwahati: Assam police women commando team `Viranagana` has been officially raised by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to act against eve teasers in the city.
The `Virangana` team have been trained in `silent drill` known only to US marines, in martial arts, bike riding and horse riding along with handling of lethal and non-lethal arms, Inspector General of Police (Training and Armed Police) Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta said.
The women commandos, who will sport a black uniform and violet caps, have been trained to act swiftly against eve- teasers or anyone trying to harm a woman`s modesty.
They will carry a pouch containing non-lethal ammunition along with latest electronic devices used to immobilise a target.
Initially there would be 100 women commandos, who have been trained in women`s legal rights, to prevent eve-teasing in the city.
Director General of Police JN Choudhury told the function here last night that the woman commando team was likely to be deployed in vulnerable places of the city like bars, discos, pubs and clubs and would spread across the state over a period of time.
There are 30 bikes for the team for the time being and they will be posted across Guwahati in different platoons, Mahanta said.
The process of forming the unit with at least 16 contingents began on May 16 and its members were trained in Tamil Nadu, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged