Woman Commando unit `Virangana` raised to tackle eve teasers in Assam
Guwahati: Assam police women commando team `Viranagana` has been officially raised by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to act against eve teasers in the city.
The `Virangana` team have been trained in `silent drill` known only to US marines, in martial arts, bike riding and horse riding along with handling of lethal and non-lethal arms, Inspector General of Police (Training and Armed Police) Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta said.
The women commandos, who will sport a black uniform and violet caps, have been trained to act swiftly against eve- teasers or anyone trying to harm a woman`s modesty.
They will carry a pouch containing non-lethal ammunition along with latest electronic devices used to immobilise a target.
Initially there would be 100 women commandos, who have been trained in women`s legal rights, to prevent eve-teasing in the city.
Director General of Police JN Choudhury told the function here last night that the woman commando team was likely to be deployed in vulnerable places of the city like bars, discos, pubs and clubs and would spread across the state over a period of time.
There are 30 bikes for the team for the time being and they will be posted across Guwahati in different platoons, Mahanta said.
The process of forming the unit with at least 16 contingents began on May 16 and its members were trained in Tamil Nadu, he added.
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why