Woman Commando unit `Virangana` raised to tackle eve teasers in Assam
Guwahati: Assam police women commando team `Viranagana` has been officially raised by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to act against eve teasers in the city.
The `Virangana` team have been trained in `silent drill` known only to US marines, in martial arts, bike riding and horse riding along with handling of lethal and non-lethal arms, Inspector General of Police (Training and Armed Police) Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta said.
The women commandos, who will sport a black uniform and violet caps, have been trained to act swiftly against eve- teasers or anyone trying to harm a woman`s modesty.
They will carry a pouch containing non-lethal ammunition along with latest electronic devices used to immobilise a target.
Initially there would be 100 women commandos, who have been trained in women`s legal rights, to prevent eve-teasing in the city.
Director General of Police JN Choudhury told the function here last night that the woman commando team was likely to be deployed in vulnerable places of the city like bars, discos, pubs and clubs and would spread across the state over a period of time.
There are 30 bikes for the team for the time being and they will be posted across Guwahati in different platoons, Mahanta said.
The process of forming the unit with at least 16 contingents began on May 16 and its members were trained in Tamil Nadu, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31