4 to 7 years` jail for 40 convicted in fodder scam
Ranchi: A CBI court in Ranchi on Monday awarded four to seven years imprisonment to 40 persons convicted in a fodder scam case and also slapped fines ranging from Rs 25,000 to Rs 2 crore.
The CBI court had pronounced judgment in RC 31 A/96 on May 3, which is related to the fraudulent withdrawal of more than Rs 47 crore from the Doranda treasury of Ranchi in the early 1990s. There were a total of 111 accused in the case. Some of them died during the course of trial and some of them turned approver.
The CBI court had last Thursday convicted 69 people and acquitted 16 others in the case.
The CBI court had also awarded one to three years imprisonment to 29 accused and slapped fines between Rs 25,000 and Rs 2 lakh May 3. The quantum of sentence against the remaining convicts was pronounced on Monday.
Nearly 1,200 people, including officials and suppliers, have been convicted in different cases of the fodder scam.
Former Bihar chief ministers Lalu Prasad and Jagannath Mishra are accused in five cases related to the scam. Their trial is on in CBI courts in Ranchi. Lalu Prasad had to quit the Bihar chief minister`s post in 1997 after an arrest warrant was issued against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow