Bihar flood toll rises to 96
Patna: The toll in the Bihar floods Friday
rose to 96 with three children drowning in Begusarai district
as the overall situation improved with the major rivers
maintaining a receding trend, official sources said.
The three children drowned in the River Bagmati at Kaura village under Gadhpura police station in flood-hit Begusarai district this morning, official sources said.
The situation which had worsened in Madhubani,
Sitamarhi and Darbhanga districts following heavy rains in the
catchment areas of the Adhwara group of rivers in Bihar and
Nepal since the onset of the monsoons, showed improvement with
receding water level of the rivers.
More than 100 villages were submerged as the river
embankment eroded at Awapur in Sitamarhi district forcing
thousands of people to take shelter in high areas.
Flood waters of Bagmati river damaged 681 houses at
Bairginiyans and also submerged NH 77 in the district, the
In Darbhanga district, Kamala Balan river breached
a 300-feet stretch of Maharji embankment, while Bagmati
inundated over 200 villages, they said.
Central Water Commission sources said the flood waters
of Ganga was receding though its water level crossed the
danger mark at certain points.
Four persons died in the floods at Benipatti block in
Madhubani district yesterday, official sources said.
Of the 96 deaths, 14 were reported from Bhagalpur, 12
from Bhojpur, 10 from Samastipur, 9 from Saharsa and 11 from
Begusarai and eight each in West Champaran and Lakhisarai
Six people each died in Khagaria and Madhubani district,
four in Vaishali, three in Madhepura, two in Muzaffarpur
district, one each in Patna, Purnea and Supaul, the sources
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir