Bihar: Retail, manufacturing largest job avenues
Patna: The retail and manufacturing sectors
have emerged as the largest job providers in Bihar, together
employing more than 14 lakh people.
According to a recent report containing a summary of the
Fifth Economic Census, 2005, around 9.77 lakh people are
employed in the retail sector, while more than 4.58 lakh
people work in the manufacturing sector in Bihar.
The two sectors account for 65 per cent of total
employment generated by all sectors in the state.
The report said the number of establishments in the state
registered a growth of 17.31 per cent to 12.25 lakh as per the
2005 census in comparison to the previous economic census
conducted in 1998.
Out of this, 8.35 lakh establishments (68.23 per cent)
fell in rural areas and about 3.89 lakh (31.77 per cent) were
in urban areas.
Out of the total establishments, 8.20 lakh (67.02 per
cent) belonged to the OAE (own account establishments)
category and 4.03 lakh establishments (32.98 per cent) were
EHW (establishments with at least one hired worker), the
The census revealed there were about 35,000 agricultural
establishments (2.85 per cent) and 11.89 lakh non-agricultural
establshments (97.15 per cent) in the state.
While comparing these figures with the previous Fourth
Economic census, the number of non-agriculture establishments
increased by 18 per cent, but the number of agricultural
establishments reduced by 2.01 per cent in the Economic
The census pointed out that there are more than 6.5 lakh
establishments in the retail sector, which amounts to 55 per
cent of the total number of establishments in Bihar, while
2.27 lakh establishments were in the manufacturing sector.
State Planning and Development Principal Secretary Vijay
Prakash said retail and manufacturing units falling in the
unorganised sector have emerged as the largest employers in
While there are 6,56,162 establishments in the retail
sector of the state, manufacturing sector establishments
number 2,27,853 and together, they constitute 74.30 per cent
of the total units in the unorganised sector, the report
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Good news for 'Feni' lovers! Goa's traditional brew to get 'heritage spirit' tag
- Whoa! Sidharth Malhotra feels 'ishq wala love' for Alia Bhatt?
- After Salman Khan, IOA approaches Sachin Tendulkar, AR Rahman to be Goodwill Ambassadors
- IMF sees emerging market innovations as 'crankiness' of Governor: Raghuram Rajan
- Strengthen ties with India to counter China, Obama administration told