Bihar: ‘Striking docs hands will be chopped off’
Patna: Bihar Health Minister Ashwini
Chaube`s warning to junior doctors against resorting to
frequent strikes and punitive action against them has
generated controversy with a section of the medicos
threatening indefinite strike.
"We also know about taking stern action ... We also
know how to chop off hands ... We have to implement the system
in place for welfare system. We will take stringent measures
against those who pose an affront to the public welfare
system," he had said at a function at the launch of a health
awareness campaign on Saturday evening.
The statement generated controversy with a section of
the junior doctors criticizing the minister for making such
statements and even threatened indefinite strike.
When contacted, Chaube said he had just used a
proverb for taking a punitive action (against junior doctors).
"But it does not mean that I ever spoke about chopping off
hands of the junior doctors," he said.
The health services suffered a lot as junior doctors
struck work frequently demanding higher stipend, he added.
Legislative council chairman Tarakant Jha, who
also addressed yesterday`s function, had said health services
particularly in rural areas were not upto the mark and
suggested that health minister should suggest an action plan
for improving the existing medical services in Bihar.
Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary, Agriculture Minister
Narendra Singh, Urban Development Minister Prem Kumar also
spoke at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore