Children caned in Bihar: NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday sought a report from Bihar government on allegations that two school children were thrashed by their headmaster till they fainted for refusing to eat mid-day meal in which they found insects.
Taking suo motu cognizance of a media report, the NHRC asked the Chief Secretary and District Magistrate of Vaishali to submit reports within four weeks on the allegations.
According to reports, two boys who are brothers and students of Class VI in a government school in Mithani Milki village were victims of the alleged high-handedness of the headmaster.
"When they complained about the insects in the mid-day meal, the headmaster told them to pick the bugs out and get on with eating the meal. When the boys refused to do so, the headmaster caned them mercilessly.
"Their father rushed them to a primary health centre for treatment and, later, he lodged a complaint with the police against the erring headmaster," an NHRC spokesperson said quoting the media report.
The Commission has observed that the allegations, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of children, he said.
The Chief Secretary has also been directed to inform as to what steps are being taken by the administration for monitoring and supervision of mid-day meal scheme in the schools including the quality of food being served to the school children in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli