Children caned in Bihar: NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday sought a report from Bihar government on allegations that two school children were thrashed by their headmaster till they fainted for refusing to eat mid-day meal in which they found insects.
Taking suo motu cognizance of a media report, the NHRC asked the Chief Secretary and District Magistrate of Vaishali to submit reports within four weeks on the allegations.
According to reports, two boys who are brothers and students of Class VI in a government school in Mithani Milki village were victims of the alleged high-handedness of the headmaster.
"When they complained about the insects in the mid-day meal, the headmaster told them to pick the bugs out and get on with eating the meal. When the boys refused to do so, the headmaster caned them mercilessly.
"Their father rushed them to a primary health centre for treatment and, later, he lodged a complaint with the police against the erring headmaster," an NHRC spokesperson said quoting the media report.
The Commission has observed that the allegations, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of children, he said.
The Chief Secretary has also been directed to inform as to what steps are being taken by the administration for monitoring and supervision of mid-day meal scheme in the schools including the quality of food being served to the school children in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened