Children caned in Bihar: NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday sought a report from Bihar government on allegations that two school children were thrashed by their headmaster till they fainted for refusing to eat mid-day meal in which they found insects.
Taking suo motu cognizance of a media report, the NHRC asked the Chief Secretary and District Magistrate of Vaishali to submit reports within four weeks on the allegations.
According to reports, two boys who are brothers and students of Class VI in a government school in Mithani Milki village were victims of the alleged high-handedness of the headmaster.
"When they complained about the insects in the mid-day meal, the headmaster told them to pick the bugs out and get on with eating the meal. When the boys refused to do so, the headmaster caned them mercilessly.
"Their father rushed them to a primary health centre for treatment and, later, he lodged a complaint with the police against the erring headmaster," an NHRC spokesperson said quoting the media report.
The Commission has observed that the allegations, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of children, he said.
The Chief Secretary has also been directed to inform as to what steps are being taken by the administration for monitoring and supervision of mid-day meal scheme in the schools including the quality of food being served to the school children in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack