CPI hails UN resolution on Sri Lanka
Patna: CPI considers the resolution passed
by the United Nations Human Rights Council as a positive step
in restoring human rights in Sri Lanka.
Gross human rights violations took place during the
civil war in Sri Lanka in which thousands of Tamils were
killed, displaced and disappeared, senior CPI leader Atul
Anjaan told reporters quoting CPI`s 21st congress resolution.
The union government`s response to the Tamil Nadu
assembly resolution, demand by all the political parties and
human right activists throughout the world gave confidence to
the victims, he said.
"The UNHRC resolution gives an opportunity to the
government of India to persuade the Sri Lanka government to
dismantle the rehabilitation camps and allow all the displaced
people to return to their places of living and of their
choice as they are languishing in the camp for more than
three years for no crimes," he said.
CPI 21st party congress urged the Sri Lankan government
to take effective measures with a proper time frame not only
for rehabilitation but also to bring a human and political
solution to the Tamil people, which can create a conducive
atmosphere for peace and harmony among the people of Sri
Lanka, Anjaan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional