JP`s village gets power 65 yrs after Independence
Sitab Diara (Bihar): Believe it or not, this nondescript Bihar village where Loknayak Jaiprakash Narayan was born got electricity connection only this February.
Located on the banks of river Saryu in Saran district of Bihar and around 150 km from capital Patna, Sitab Diara`s tryst with electricity coincided with the rath yatra of BJP leader L K Advani which kicked off from here last October.
Power supply is arranged from Jayprakash Nagar power grid in Uttar Pradesh payment for which is made by Bihar State Electricity Board (BSEB), Bihar minister Janardan Singh Sigriwal, who represents Sitab Diara, said.
The responsibility to maintain smooth supply of power rests with the panchayat.
According to the arrangement, the village with a population of about 18,000 is witnessing 8-12 hours of electricity in a week during daytime and almost the same duration in the night in alternate week.
Construction of a three-km metallic road from Gariba tola to Lala tola (where JP was born) is also in progress.
"With the village having assess to electricity, roads and improved hospital and schools we are enjoying development now," says Kamla Charan Verma, cousin of JP, who heads Jay Prabha Memorial Trust (named after JP`s wife).
According to Sigriwal, by carrying development works, the NDA government is paying its respect to the veteran socialist leader.
In an obvious reference to RJD chief Lalu Prasad, who is a native of Saran district, he said, "People gained politically by using JP`s name but totally neglected development."
The Government Middle School in Lala tola where JP started his school career is also wearing a new look. Rooms of the school, where around 500 boys and girls study, have been repaired and whitewashed now.
Sigriwal said a library, museum and other development institutions have been planned in the near future in memory of Loknayak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant