JP`s village gets power 65 yrs after Independence
Sitab Diara (Bihar): Believe it or not, this nondescript Bihar village where Loknayak Jaiprakash Narayan was born got electricity connection only this February.
Located on the banks of river Saryu in Saran district of Bihar and around 150 km from capital Patna, Sitab Diara`s tryst with electricity coincided with the rath yatra of BJP leader L K Advani which kicked off from here last October.
Power supply is arranged from Jayprakash Nagar power grid in Uttar Pradesh payment for which is made by Bihar State Electricity Board (BSEB), Bihar minister Janardan Singh Sigriwal, who represents Sitab Diara, said.
The responsibility to maintain smooth supply of power rests with the panchayat.
According to the arrangement, the village with a population of about 18,000 is witnessing 8-12 hours of electricity in a week during daytime and almost the same duration in the night in alternate week.
Construction of a three-km metallic road from Gariba tola to Lala tola (where JP was born) is also in progress.
"With the village having assess to electricity, roads and improved hospital and schools we are enjoying development now," says Kamla Charan Verma, cousin of JP, who heads Jay Prabha Memorial Trust (named after JP`s wife).
According to Sigriwal, by carrying development works, the NDA government is paying its respect to the veteran socialist leader.
In an obvious reference to RJD chief Lalu Prasad, who is a native of Saran district, he said, "People gained politically by using JP`s name but totally neglected development."
The Government Middle School in Lala tola where JP started his school career is also wearing a new look. Rooms of the school, where around 500 boys and girls study, have been repaired and whitewashed now.
Sigriwal said a library, museum and other development institutions have been planned in the near future in memory of Loknayak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security