PMCH junior doctors go on strike
Patna: About 500 junior doctors of Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) have struck work in protest against assault of their colleague by family members of a patient.
Hospital sources said the junior doctors went on a flash strike last night after family members of a 14 year-old boy suffering from acute encephalitis syndrome(AES) assaulted a junior doctor and other medical staff alleging negligence in his treatment leading to his death, sources said.
The junior medicos then allegedly misbehaved with PMCH superintendent O P Chaudhary to protest against lack of adequate security in the hospital before launching the strike, they said.
OPD and emergency services of the hospital, which is already reeling under the pressure of a large number AES patients and shortage of manpower, have been badly hit, they said.
Security has been beefed up in the hospital and senior police officials were camping in the hospital.
The sources said the junior medicos have registered a police case against unidentified persons for the assault of their colleague and one suspect has been arrested in this connection.
They doctors held a meeting to chart their future course of action, they added.
129 children have died due to AES in various parts of the state till date since May last year and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has asked the union health secretary to send a central team to tackle the disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- 2016 US Open: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams named top seeds for season's final Grand Slam
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria