RTI activist assaulted in Bihar
Patna: A Right to Information (RTI) activist was assaulted by government officials in Bihar`s Rohtas district after he sought information about illegal mining, police said on Thursday.
Nabi Ahmad, in his mid-60s, was assaulted by an executive engineer, assistant engineer and three contractors of the water resources department in Dehri-On-Sone, a town in Rohtas, about 150 km from here.
"I was attacked and assaulted. My crime was that I sought information from the executive engineer about illegal mining on the department`s land," Ahmad said.
Ahmad said that after he sought information about illegal mining under the RTI Act, the executive engineer and other officials of the department were angry at his bid to expose their involvement.
"They threatened me for filing an RTI petition to seek information about illegal mining," Ahmad said.
Ahmad has lodged a case against the accused. "An FIR ((First Information Report) was registered after I met the district superintendent of police," he said.
During the last one year, nearly a dozen RTI activists were attacked, assaulted and harassed by officials across Bihar. Last December, an RTI activist, Ram Vilas Singh, was shot dead in Lakhisarai district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali