RTI activist assaulted in Bihar
Patna: A Right to Information (RTI) activist was assaulted by government officials in Bihar`s Rohtas district after he sought information about illegal mining, police said on Thursday.
Nabi Ahmad, in his mid-60s, was assaulted by an executive engineer, assistant engineer and three contractors of the water resources department in Dehri-On-Sone, a town in Rohtas, about 150 km from here.
"I was attacked and assaulted. My crime was that I sought information from the executive engineer about illegal mining on the department`s land," Ahmad said.
Ahmad said that after he sought information about illegal mining under the RTI Act, the executive engineer and other officials of the department were angry at his bid to expose their involvement.
"They threatened me for filing an RTI petition to seek information about illegal mining," Ahmad said.
Ahmad has lodged a case against the accused. "An FIR ((First Information Report) was registered after I met the district superintendent of police," he said.
During the last one year, nearly a dozen RTI activists were attacked, assaulted and harassed by officials across Bihar. Last December, an RTI activist, Ram Vilas Singh, was shot dead in Lakhisarai district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi