Woman killed in Bihar for practising witchcraft
Patna: A 58-year-old Dalit woman was Thursday killed by her neighbour in Bihar`s Gaya district, around 100 km from state capital Patna, for allegedly practicing witchcraft, police said.
According to police, Lashki Devi was brutally beaten before being strangled to death by her neighbour Kapil Bhuiyan in Jumladih hamlet of Chotki Kewla village in Dumaria area of Gaya.
Villagers said that Bhuiyan accused the woman of practising witchcraft and beat her up in full view of public. "After she fell unconscious, the accused dragged her to a nearby forest where he strangled her to death," police said.
Bhuiyan was arrested after a first information report (FIR) was filed by the woman`s husband, police added.
The practice of branding women as witches and torturing them continues unabated in remote rural areas of Bihar. A month ago, a woman in Sitamarhi district of the state was forced by some people to eat human excreta after being branded a witch.
Last year, the Bihar Human Rights Commission (BHRC) directed the state government to expedite probe and trials of cases related to offences under the Prevention of Witch Hunting Act, 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack