Farmers` suicides unabated in Chhattisgarh: Cong
Raipur: The Congress in Chhattisgarh on Monday said it would step up campaign against the state`s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government for "unabated suicide deaths of thousands of farmers".
"More than 18,000 farmers have committed suicide since December 2003 when the BJP came to power," the Congress said in a statement. The party largely held Chief Minister Raman Singh responsible for the suicides.
The Congress held a massive rally on January 1 after a farmer, Satish Yadav, committed suicide in Kharasia of Raigarh district. The party said it would intensify the protest across the state under the leadership of state unit president Nandkumar Patel to vote out the "anti-farmer government".
The party claimed that many farmers of Mahasamund district were put in jail by the government for not paying power tariff though the government had made clear in its 2008 Assembly poll manifesto that electricity would be provided free of cost to farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mega event today to mark 2 years of BJP govt; Amitabh to host small segment on girl child campaign
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic
- Do you know where is Katrina Kaif's paradise? Watch video
- READ: What Suresh Raina said after Gujarat Lions' dream IPL run ended in Qualifier 2
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM