12 injured as BJP, Congress workers clash in Delhi
New Delhi: At least 12 people were injured in a clash between Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers here Saturday evening after a heated argument at an official function, police said.
The incident was reported from Jagatram Park in east Delhi`s Shakarpur around 3.30 p.m. where East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit and Delhi Finance Minister AK Walia were to come for the inauguration of a sewer line.
"The clash began after BJP councillor BB Tyagi along with two other BJP councillors arrived there with their supporters and indulged in a heated argument with local Congress leaders," said a police officer.
"The argument became violent when the BJP supporters started manhandling and showing black flag to the Congress supporters," the officer said.
According to the officer, two people received head injuries while 10 others also injured in the attack.
"It is not yet ascertained whether these people belong to Congress or BJP," the officer added.
A case of rioting has been registered against the BJP workers and probe is on into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore