12 injured as BJP, Congress workers clash in Delhi
New Delhi: At least 12 people were injured in a clash between Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers here Saturday evening after a heated argument at an official function, police said.
The incident was reported from Jagatram Park in east Delhi`s Shakarpur around 3.30 p.m. where East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit and Delhi Finance Minister AK Walia were to come for the inauguration of a sewer line.
"The clash began after BJP councillor BB Tyagi along with two other BJP councillors arrived there with their supporters and indulged in a heated argument with local Congress leaders," said a police officer.
"The argument became violent when the BJP supporters started manhandling and showing black flag to the Congress supporters," the officer said.
According to the officer, two people received head injuries while 10 others also injured in the attack.
"It is not yet ascertained whether these people belong to Congress or BJP," the officer added.
A case of rioting has been registered against the BJP workers and probe is on into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Ashutosh Gowariker, Kay Kay Menon launch Raj Supe's new book
- Sunil Munjal to step down from Hero MotoCorp Board on August 16
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi
- Companies likely to raise about $75 bn through issuance of green bonds in 2016
- Mayawati slur row: No relief for expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh from Allahabad HC