1,305 liquor smugglers arrested in Greater Noida in 10 months
Greater Noida: 1,305 liquor smugglers have been arrested and about 32,000 litres of alcohol seized in the district in last ten months, a senior official said on Friday.
"The district excise department jointly in association with police regularly conduct the checking of vehicles to nab the liquor smugglers.
"In last 10 months department has arrested 1,305 liquor smugglers and seized 32,000 litre smuggled liquor. A fine of over Rs one crore has been collected," District Excise Officer Kuldeep Yadav said.
Yadav said the smuggled liquor was mostly from Haryana and Delhi distilleries.
"Due to difference of liquor rates in UP and other states, liquor mafias resort to smuggling as alcohol in UP is costlier by 30 to 40 percent as compared to neighbouring states of Haryana and Delhi," he said.
Meanwhile, Yadav said one more liquor smuggler was arrested last night by Rabupura police with 158 quarter bottles of alcohol.
"The arrested person was identified as Gurmit Singh. On interrogation he confessed to have been smuggling liquor for last six months," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata