1,305 liquor smugglers arrested in Greater Noida in 10 months
Greater Noida: 1,305 liquor smugglers have been arrested and about 32,000 litres of alcohol seized in the district in last ten months, a senior official said on Friday.
"The district excise department jointly in association with police regularly conduct the checking of vehicles to nab the liquor smugglers.
"In last 10 months department has arrested 1,305 liquor smugglers and seized 32,000 litre smuggled liquor. A fine of over Rs one crore has been collected," District Excise Officer Kuldeep Yadav said.
Yadav said the smuggled liquor was mostly from Haryana and Delhi distilleries.
"Due to difference of liquor rates in UP and other states, liquor mafias resort to smuggling as alcohol in UP is costlier by 30 to 40 percent as compared to neighbouring states of Haryana and Delhi," he said.
Meanwhile, Yadav said one more liquor smuggler was arrested last night by Rabupura police with 158 quarter bottles of alcohol.
"The arrested person was identified as Gurmit Singh. On interrogation he confessed to have been smuggling liquor for last six months," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town