14 yrs after acid attack on trivial issue, 2 get 15 days jail in Delhi
New Delhi: Two men have been sentenced to 15 days imprisonment by a Delhi Court 14 years after they threw acid on a shopkeeper and his employees who objected to their bathing in the balcony and letting the water spill onto the floor below.
Additional Sessions Judge Shail Jain sentenced Old Delhi residents Sudhir Dass and Mathura Dass to simple imprisonment for 15 days after holding them guilty of voluntarily hurting the complainant, Sidharth Santra, and his employees by throwing acid on them.
The court order came on an appeal filed by Sidharth against the order of a magisterial court which had acquitted the accused in the 1998 case.
Sudhir and Mathura had been booked under section 324 IPC which entails maximum punishment of three years for voluntarily causing hurt by means of acid in pursuance of their common intention.
While setting aside the order of the trial court, the ASJ said, "Considering the fact that the incident had occurred on on?August 8, 1998 and after facing protracted trial of 14 years, both accused were acquitted and the fact that they were on bail during trial, I sentence both the convicts to undergo simple imprisonment for 15 days."
Sidharth had in his appeal told the Sessions court that Sudhir and Mathura used to run a small jewellery shop in Chandni Chowk, old Delhi.
Sidharth was running his business from the second floor of the building in which Sudhir and Mathura were residing at the third floor.
Both the accused and also their employees used to take bath in the balcony of the third floor and let the water fall on the complainant and his employees working on the second floor.
Despite their objections and repeated pleas, the accused and his employees continued their practice of bathing in the balcony while allowing the dirty water to fall.
On August 8, 1998, at about 10:30 AM, Sudhir Dass was taking bath in the balcony. When Sidharth requested him not to do so, Sudhir threatened to throw acid on him. Within minutes, Mathura Dass handed over a bottle of acid to Sudhir, who emptied its content on the complainant and his employees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion