18 deaths in Tihar jail in 2012
New Delhi: India`s largest prison, the Tihar Jail here has witnessed 18 deaths, including two suicides, during 2012, an official said.
Tihar`s Director General Vimla Mehra said: "Sixteen inmates died last year inside the jail and two prisoners committed suicide."
Magisterial inquiries were conducted in every death but inquiry reports in the suicide cases are yet to come, she told reporters.
Mehra said inmates are provided round-the-clock medical attention in jails for which there is a 150-bedded hospital in central jail number 3 and dispensaries attached to other jails.
As many as 12,113 prisoners are lodged inside nine jails, out of which 540 are women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt