18 deaths in Tihar jail in 2012
New Delhi: India`s largest prison, the Tihar Jail here has witnessed 18 deaths, including two suicides, during 2012, an official said.
Tihar`s Director General Vimla Mehra said: "Sixteen inmates died last year inside the jail and two prisoners committed suicide."
Magisterial inquiries were conducted in every death but inquiry reports in the suicide cases are yet to come, she told reporters.
Mehra said inmates are provided round-the-clock medical attention in jails for which there is a 150-bedded hospital in central jail number 3 and dispensaries attached to other jails.
As many as 12,113 prisoners are lodged inside nine jails, out of which 540 are women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note