18 deaths in Tihar jail in 2012
New Delhi: India`s largest prison, the Tihar Jail here has witnessed 18 deaths, including two suicides, during 2012, an official said.
Tihar`s Director General Vimla Mehra said: "Sixteen inmates died last year inside the jail and two prisoners committed suicide."
Magisterial inquiries were conducted in every death but inquiry reports in the suicide cases are yet to come, she told reporters.
Mehra said inmates are provided round-the-clock medical attention in jails for which there is a 150-bedded hospital in central jail number 3 and dispensaries attached to other jails.
As many as 12,113 prisoners are lodged inside nine jails, out of which 540 are women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Monaco Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ends his wait, Sergio Perez completes podium
- Don't know what item songs mean: Zareen Khan
- India has ability to target whole of Pakistan: Experts on AQ Khan's nuclear attack threat
- Riteish Deshmukh fulfills Madhuri Dixit's wish on TV show
- Kiran Bedi takes oath as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry