24 Tihar Jail inmates to be placed in semi-open jail
New Delhi: To aid reformation of convicts and to show them that trust could be reposed in them, Tihar Central Jail, India`s largest prison, has chosen 24 prisoners for the open-jail system this year.
"This year, 24 inmates have been selected for the semi-open jail. The selection of these convicts for their confinement in semi-open jail was approved recently by Delhi`s Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna," said Vimla Mehra, director general (Prisons).
Last year, only two inmates were selected for the semi-open jail, Mehra said.
While in the semi-open jail, a prisoner is allowed to work for a full day outside his sub-prison, but within the 400-acre sprawling premises of the jail.
Tihar houses some 12,000 prisoners. When the semi-open jail scheme was first announced last year, only two prisoners were found eligible for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video