24 Tihar Jail inmates to be placed in semi-open jail
New Delhi: To aid reformation of convicts and to show them that trust could be reposed in them, Tihar Central Jail, India`s largest prison, has chosen 24 prisoners for the open-jail system this year.
"This year, 24 inmates have been selected for the semi-open jail. The selection of these convicts for their confinement in semi-open jail was approved recently by Delhi`s Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna," said Vimla Mehra, director general (Prisons).
Last year, only two inmates were selected for the semi-open jail, Mehra said.
While in the semi-open jail, a prisoner is allowed to work for a full day outside his sub-prison, but within the 400-acre sprawling premises of the jail.
Tihar houses some 12,000 prisoners. When the semi-open jail scheme was first announced last year, only two prisoners were found eligible for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'