40 Tihar Jail inmates go on hunger strike, claims activist
New Delhi: Forty prisoners have gone on a hunger strike in Tihar Jail alleging various malpractices in the prison and demanding better facilities for them, claimed a human rights activist, prompting authorities to deny it.
Tihar Jail authorities denied any hunger strike by the prisoners and allegations levelled against them.
ND Pancholi, a human rights lawyer, told a news agency that 40 prisoners in Ward No 6 of Jail No 1 were on hunger strike from Tuesday in protest against "several malpractices and inhuman treatment meted out to them".
Pancholi claimed that he received a letter signed by 40 prisoners, including Mohd Arif who is on a death sentence in Red Fort attack case, following which he shot off a letter to Tihar Director General Vimla Mehra seeking her intervention.
The prisoners were on hunger strike alleging that they were "not able to get drinking water, proper food, medical treatment, recreational facilities, walking space and telephone facility", he said in the letter to Mehra.
They also alleged that prisoner`s ration is illegally transferred to welfare canteen due to which food quality of prisoners` food has become degraded resulting in ailments, he claimed.
In the letter to the lawyer, the prisoners alleged that lack of recreational facilities has led to many prisoners becoming "regular psychiatric patients" and that high risk prisoners were being treated like "animals in zoo".
They alleged that the high risk prisoners were not provided telephonic contact with family despite directions from Delhi High Court.
Denying the allegations, Tihar Jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta said nobody was on hunger strike and there was no corruption as alleged by the prisoners.
"We function in a transparent manner. The prison is regularly visited by judicial officers," Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming