AAP welcomes UGC direction to DU to roll back FYUP
New Delhi: AAP on Monday welcomed the UGC for directing Delhi University to roll back the four year under- graduate programme (FYUP), but said necessary precaution should be taken while making transition to three-year under- graduate programme.
"The AAP is of the view that FYUP should have never been implemented in the DU. Former HRD minister Kapil Sibal and Vice Chancellor Professor Dinesh Singh owe an apology to the academic and student communities for having imposed such a measure, without any unanimity.
"The opposition to FYUP was a unique feature which had united the academic, student and political classes across the spectrum, barring the exception of Congress Party and its students` and teachers` wing," AAP said in a statement.
The party also said that precaution should be taken during the transition from a FYUP to three-year under-graduate programme.
"First of all, apprehensions among the students who were enrolled for the FYUP last year and are currently pursuing their studies according to this programme, must be allayed and they need to be assured that none of their rights will be affected," the party said.
Secondly, the students who have applied for admission to the DU colleges this year, need to be assured by the university that the scrapping of the FYUP would not affect their careers in any manner, the statement said.
FYUP, introduced last year, has drawn flak from both students and teachers but Delhi University has held that it will not be scrapped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof